I use the poems to help two year old Lauren:
1) develop a love of language and reading
2) understand that print carries meaning
3) understand that we read the print from left to right and top to bottom
4) recognize known letters when embedded in print
5) begin to recognize rhyming words
I use the poems to help five year old Julia:
1) continue to develop a love of language and reading
2) recognize high frequency words
3) practice phonics skills within the context of meaningful text
4) practice reading fluently
How many other activities can you do with children of such diverse needs and be sure that you are meeting each of their needs? I feel so strongly about the power of reading poem charts with children that I am excited to share them with other parents and teachers. I would also love to see any poem charts that you have made!
Here are two charts that I have not published on this blog before:
To see previously published poems click here.
I bought my chart stand from Lakeshore but you can use the poems without a chart stand. They can be clipped to an art easel, attached to a wall with sticky tack, or attached to a refrigerator with a magnet.