Thursday, August 13, 2009

Making Peanut Butter

With all the convenience foods on the market today, kids easily get the wrong idea that food just comes prepackaged and ready to eat. They are amazed to learn about the process involved and love to make their favorite food from scratch. After reading From Peanuts to Peanut Butter by Melvin Berger and Peanut Butter and Jelly by Nadine Bernard Westcott, we made our own peanut butter.

First the girls shelled and hulled 1 cup of roasted peanuts. What a great way to build those little hand muscles. I think more peanuts went into Julia's mouth than in her bowl!



We put the peanuts in the blender with 2 tablespoons oil and tried to grind them. We were not successful . We then tried using a food processor and had much better success. The girls loved our homemade peanut butter!

3 comments:

  1. Great idea. We need to try this one. I love your site and am often inspired by your ideas. I have awarded you Kreativ Blogger on my site for being one of my favorite reads. Check it out at http://www.5sillyfrogs.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like so much fun!! Emily was asking me if there was a way to do this, and now we can try it too... great idea!! I'll be sure to use the food processor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun!! My hubby has been wanting to try this ever since I read a recipe for homemade PB in a Men's Health magazine in a doctor's office waiting room. It's still copied on the back of my checkbook, maybe we'll give it a try!

    ReplyDelete