Saturday, October 10, 2009

Tot School: Week of October 5

Tot School

Three year old Lauren had a fun week of playful learning. As she played she learned:

  • counting up to six objects
  • left-to-right movement
  • identifying letters (L,O, and A)
  • small motor control

Lauren kept busy:

playing a pumpkin grid game with her big sister (thanks Teach Mama),

practicing counting with our Pumpkin Game.

tracing sandpaper letters,

playing with Fridge Phonics.

spooning orange and green pom poms into a pumpkin ice cube tray,

squeezing playdough (I love that face!),

attempting to sweep beans into a 12 x 12 square. This was really hard so,

she used the hand broom instead. This was much easier! I need to set up more sweeping activities for her.

For more Tot School fun visit 1+1+1=1.


  1. I want to make that Teach Mama grid game too. Fridge Phonics is one of our favorite things! I bet it is hard to do that sweeping activity.

  2. I love that you set her up a sweeping activity, and the grid game looks so fun! I love her face when she's squeezing the playdough.

  3. Bear has tried to do the sweeping activity before. I haven't done it with her in a really long time. I should try it again. You can see her here:
    Where did you get your sandpaper letters?

  4. You just reminded me to get our fridge phonics game out. I guess it should be on the fridge, but I haven't put it up since we moved. Looks like you had a fun week. Thanks for sharing.

  5. The Girl Who Painted Trees,
    The sandpaper letters are from Lakeshore Learning Store. Thanks for sharing your sweeping activity.

  6. The sweeping activities are a great idea - I know M would LOVE that - anything I do he wants to do! I've got to remember this! Love that play-doh face - so sweet! :)

  7. I went and downloaded the chart games. Very cool! Thanks for the tip. We have the same pumpkin ice cube tray, I know what we will be doing with it this week!

  8. I love the sweeping idea! The face from squeezing the playdough is too cute.

  9. I love the sweeping the beans idea! I may have to do that soon!

  10. Sending more love for the sweeping activity. Buggy LOVES to sweep, but he just scatters the dirt & crumbs more. Concentrating him on a single taped off area may be just the trick he needs. Thank you!

  11. I have to agree with the comments about the sweeping activity! I love how you set it up!

  12. I need to make some sand paper letters. My 3 1/2 yr old just has no interest in learning letters at all. I think he would like these.

  13. Wow! What a busy week! I, too, never would have thought of sweeping as a learning tool, but it SO is! Thanks for another great idea, and thanks for sharing the fall grid games!

  14. I found the picture of Lauren sweeping on Pinterest. Before I knew you used it as a homeschooling lesson, I tried it on my four year old when we were snowed in and he was bored. I had him sweep crumbs from under the table. :) He caught on pretty quick that it wasn't a game. Maybe I should have tried your way first. :) I'm blogging about our experience today and I'll include a link to this post. Thanks for sharing!