Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Shape Graph

I made this shape graph by dividing a sheet of butcher paper into a six by six grid. I cut a circle, rectangle, triangle, diamond, oval, and square from black construction paper and glued each shape to the bottom of the graph. I also cut five of each shape from black poster board. The die is a one inch wooden cube. I used a black paint pen to draw a shape on each side of the cube.




To play the game we lay out the graph and place the shapes below each column. The kids take turns rolling the die, identifying the shape, and placing that shape on the appropriate column.
After each turn I ask a question such as: Which column has the most? Which has the least? Are there more squares or circles? How many more triangles do we need to fill the column?


The first shape to fill its column is the winner!

3 comments: