Monday, May 18, 2009

Five Little Pigs




Materials:


  • Five Little Pigs poem. Print the second page (the numbers) on card stock.

  • Pigs printed on card stock

  • 12x18 green construction paper

  • 9x12 brown construction paper

  • lamination film (if you do not laminate, then place a piece of clear packing tape under the velcro)

  • Velcro

To make the chart:

  • Glue the poem to the top of the 12x18 green construction paper. Cut the brown paper into the shape of a mud puddle and glue to the bottom of the green construction paper.

  • Laminate the poem, number cards, and pig pictures. Cut the pieces apart.

  • Attach a small strip of velcro above the word 'five' on the poem and to the back of the number cards. Attach five pieces of velcro to the mud puddle and to the back of the pigs.

To use the chart:


  • Place the pigs on the puddle.

  • Read the poem with your child using your finger or a pointer to track the print.

  • After you read "The farmer took one piggy out." your child removes a pig.

  • Count the number of pigs left in the puddle. Cover the word 'five' with the word 'four' and read the poem again. Continue until all the pigs are removed.

3 comments:

  1. This is sooooo cute! You have great ideas, and I'm so glad I found your blog... I'm going to follow so I don't miss any updates! :-)

    Valerie
    www.frugalfamilyfunblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a 2-year old who would love this! I taught high school...now staying at home with my 2 year old and 3 month old...I'm having so much fun finding "teaching" ideas for them (so different from high school materials). Thank you for the great ideas! How did you make the stand? I also notice more behind this one...will you share more ideas (please).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Izzie, Mac & Me,

    Thank you, I'm glad you like the chart. I just spent about 30 minutes reading all our charts with my girls and we had a great time.

    I bought the chart stand from Lakeshore Learning Store:
    http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/seo/ca%7CsearchResults~~p%7CJJ370MA~~.jsp

    Here are some of my other poem charts:
    http://explorations-in-learning.blogspot.com/search/label/songs%2Fpoems

    We love to read the poem charts so I will definitely make more and I am more than happy to share!

    Denise

    ReplyDelete