Thursday, April 16, 2009

Julia's DIY Birthday

Julia celebrated her fifth birthday this week! She made my life much simpler by requesting a family party. I thought it would be fun to let her do a lot of the party preparation and I was right!
First, Julia and I made her pinata. We tore newspaper into strips and used liquid starch to adhere the strips onto an inflated balloon. We covered the balloon with three layers of newspaper and let it dry for about 24 hours (the last few hours the balloon was hanging outside in the sunshine).
When the newspaper was completely dry we popped the balloon. Julia then painted her pinata and covered it with stickers. I punched holes in the sides of the pinata and threaded a piece of yarn through it.
Looks great, Julia!
Julia also decorated her cake. I frosted a cake with white frosting and gave Julia the cake and a tube of pink frosting (I refilled the tube several times before she was done). Julia had so much fun squeezing designs onto the cake and then spreading the frosting with a knife.
She was very proud of her creation and so was I! I think allowing the birthday girl to decorate her own cake is going to be a tradition in our family. It's fun, inexpensive, and relieves Mommy from the stress of trying to make the perfect cake-yippee!

For goody bags the girls used Do-A-Dots to decorate plain white bags.
Fun party!

4 comments:

  1. Looks like fun was had by all. I especially love the pinata.
    I tagged you for a "Post Game" on my blog so stop by when you can!
    http://princesswithahalfpricetiara.blogspot.com/2009/04/8-is-enough-tag-game.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should have my son make his own pinata next year. Tuned out wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love simple parties and I think the kids do too. Also, they love showing off their creations.

    I love that pinata, she did a great job.

    Thanks for linking and have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awe! This is so heartwarming. Wonderful birthday!

    ReplyDelete