Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Easter Song Charts


The girls and I have been reading Easter songs on charts. I introduce each song and sing it to the children while using a pointer to follow the print. We reread the chart several times over the course of several days or weeks. As we read and reread the songs, the girls gain valuable insights into how print works. They learn that printed words match spoken words, that print is read left to right and top to bottom, and they gain knowledge of letters and sounds. Most importantly, we have fun reading together!

Lauren is completely confident that she can read our "Bunny" song all by herself. She is using our bunny pointer- an unsharpened pencil with a bunny eraser on the end.

Here she is reading Did Jesus Really Live Again?. This chart has much more print than I would usually use with young children but I used it because I want to emphasize the message of the song.

Here are the songs we are currently reading:


B-U-N-N-Y (author unknown)

I know a rabbit with long pink ears

And bunny is his name-o!

B-U-N-N-Y

B-U-N-N-Y

B-U-N-N-Y

And bunny is his name-o!


Did Jesus Really Live Again

by Mabel Jones Gabbot


Did Jesus really live again?

Yes, when the third day came

He wakened and he left the tomb

He called Mary's name.


Did Jesus come to those he loved?

Yes, people touched his feet

And of the fish and honeycomb

He did truly eat.


And there were nail prints in his hands

And a spear wound in his side.

Did Jesus really live again

After he had died!

Oh yes! And so shall I!

2 comments:

  1. Denise, another great idea! I used these in my K room all the time and it's nice to see someone do such a nice post on them. This idea will also be included in an upcoming post on Teaching Tools. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is such a great idea. My two chldren love to sing, so I know this will be a hit with them. It is also a great idea for teaching print awareness. I included a link to your idea on my blog: http://theattachedmama.blogspot.com/2009/08/pre-reading-skills-building-print.html

    ReplyDelete